SMPTE module?

Warren 'The Howdy Man' Ockrassa warren at nightwares.com
Sat Sep 11 01:46:51 EDT 1999

David Ascher wrote:

> On Fri, 10 Sep 1999, Warren 'The Howdy Man' Ockrassa wrote:
>
> > There is a third video standard in use, SECAM, for Sequential Color And
> > Memory, but (as I recall) it's mostly used on Communist-bloc nations and
> > former Communist regimes.
>
> Well, the 'mostly' saves you from a funny mistake -- it's the standard
> used in France as well.  Mostly to be different from the anglosaxons.

Ahwhoops, I replied in email first. So I will reiterate here.

I forgot that France used this standard, and perhaps uses it still.
SECAM is not necessarily to be forgotten, but it not is a big factor in
video handling, I fear.

> Reminds me of a visit to a Shaker village in Massachussetts[*].  Had a
> lovely chat with a nice old lady who after chatting with us for a while,
> asked where we were from.  Upon being told France, she got quiet for a
> while.  After screwing up her courage, she asked, somewhat timidly:
> "France, uh, it's not _communist_, is it?".

That is funny, and makes me wonder if this Shaker lady had not read up
on some tech journals on the side, or perhaps had a child working in the
biz we call "show", and thus was a bit concerned.

Even the most insular communities are not out of touch, at least not in
the States. Word gets around.

Thanks for the note though...

> ObPython: I can't for the life of me come up with anything relevant.  So
>           sue me. It's friday night.

Hekkwiddit. Have a beer. :)

--WthmO