Python Type-Inference based LINT.. (pylint.py)

skaller skaller at maxtal.com.au
Tue Nov 30 08:38:45 EST 1999

Martijn Faassen wrote:
>It's hard to say, actually, because if it
> *has* to generate error messages like the kind you mentioned, optional
> type annotations may not even be worth it..

	I think they're worth it ... the main problem
is syntax. It isn't clear what syntax to use to specify
an annotation, and it isn't clear how to name the types.
The 'natural' notation:

	x : int = 1

can be used in function parameter lists, but not so easily for
variables (since ':' clashes with it's other use as a suite introducer).
It's also not clear that:

	x : PyInstance = SomeClass()

is useful, the class of x is more interesting.

John Skaller, mailto:skaller at maxtal.com.au
10/1 Toxteth Rd Glebe NSW 2037 Australia
homepage: http://www.maxtal.com.au/~skaller
voice: 61-2-9660-0850