Assorted Questions regarding the future of Python...

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Tue Nov 2 04:47:39 EST 1999

Alessandro Bottoni <Alessandro.Bottoni at think3.com> wrote:
> So, I wonder:

(just some quick answers here.  others will surely
add to this).

> 1) How about a Python compiler? Does anybody is working on such a project? I
> saw a lot of messages regarding this topic in the past, but which is the
> current status?

well, python has a compiler (which converts source
code to byte codes).

but I suppose you mean "compile to machine code," for
which the answer can be summarized as "it's a hard pro-
blem, but people are working on it".  check the news-
group archives for more stories (look for things like
python2c, viperi, etc.).  and check jpython, of course.

> 2) How about a Python Virtual Machine, "a la Java", as a possible
> alternative to a real compiler? Is there anything like that? Is anybody
> working on it?

well, python has a virtual machine (PYC files contain
bytecodes, not compressed source code.  just like
Java class files).

as far as I know, there are no visible projects working
on faster ways to execute that code, but that doesn't
mean that they don't exist ;-)

(and don't forget jpython, which can convert python
sources to Java class files...)

> 3) How about using the "Template & Wizard" approach with Python, inside IDLE
> or another IDE? Does anybody is working on such a project? Guido, do you
> think to go in this direction with IDLE?

fwiw, we're working on something like this for future
versions of pythonworks.  not your usual dumb code
generator stuff, though.  more info some other day.

> 4) How about a "standard" installation tool? Is there anything like
> InstallShield or "VB Package & Deployement tool" in our world?
> Does anybody is working on such a project?

here's one:
http://starship.python.net/crew/gmcm/install.html

(and pythonworks includes similar tools, of course)

</F>

<!-- (the eff-bot guide to) the standard python library:
-->