Gettin regular Python and JPython to communicate interproces

Bob Horvath bob at horvath.com
Tue May 18 09:08:49 EDT 1999

Gordon McMillan wrote:

> Sarino Suon writes:
>
> > I run Python on Windows98. But I need GUI support, so I chose to run
> > JPython through the Java runtime environment as a separate process.
> > I do this because I need the GUI, but I also need regular Python to
> > do heavy duty data crunching. My question: How can I get JPython to
> > communicate with Python interprocess? Is there a COM module that
> > will run in JPython? How about ILU? If there's a module, can you
> > lead me to the source?
>
> Sockets are guaranteed to work. If you use MS's Java, you could use
> the fact that a Java class is also a COM object. CORBA should work,
> but I've no idea which ones to try. If you don't mind writing AWT
> code, you won't find Tk / tkinter that hard. Probably easier than any
> of the above.

This is something I was wondering.  I am relatively new to Python, and
I have not yet dabbled much in any GUI goo.  I am familiar with Tk, so
Tkinter sounded very interesting until I heard about JPython, and was
interested in that Swing then becomes an option.  If I can learn only one
GUI, then Swing would probably be of more use to me, as then I could
leverage that knowledge when writing Java, or even if I wanted to do some
JPython applets.

Are there any pe(a)rls of wisdom any of you could share on the benefits
of using Tkinter or JPython/Swing?