using python in www site

Thomas A. Bryan tbryan at arlut.utexas.edu
Sun May 9 01:13:04 EDT 1999

0123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456789
Travis C. Porco wrote

> In article <373317F6.737B4D40 at zarlut.utexas.edu>,
> Tom Bryan  <tbryan at zarlut.utexas.edu> wrote:
>
> >Tom Bryan wrote:
>
> >> (To make this post not too off-topic...)
> >> You might want to convince the ISP to install M.A. Lemburg's
> >> recently-released mxCGI distribution: a compact, easy-to-install
> >> Python.
>
> >> http://starship.skyport.net/~lemburg/mxCGIPython.html
>
> >Actually, I guess you don't even need to have them install it.
> >You should be able to install Python in the company's home
> >directory on their ISP's machine.  I think that's the point of
> >mxCGI.  Then you can begin your scripts with import cgi, and you're
> >on your way.  I remember that Python's cgi module was very easy
> >to use.
>
> How would you get access to such a directory?  I sure can't seem to
> find it on my ISP.

I'm sorry.  My message wasn't very clear.  It depends what type of
ISP one has.  I guess I was assuming that the company for whom he is
designing the site actually has a user account on the ISP's machine.

That might not be the case.  I know that with some ISPs and web
hosting companies, one is simply able to ftp files into one's web
directories.  In that case, the only option is to convince the ISP
to install the one file mxCGIPython.  It seems that an ISP that
permits CGI scripts would make such a minimal effort to provide their
customers with whatever languages their customers prefer to use....
rather than having Perl novices making numerous of errors in their
scripts.