Python Scalability

Hans Nowak ivnowa at hvision.nl
Wed May 26 17:30:01 EDT 1999

On 26 May 99, Graham Matthews wrote:

> I personally stopped using
> Python for anything beyond scripting because:
>
> a) it does not provide any form of static typing, something I have
> 	 found to be essential on larger projects.

> To give just one example. I wrote a GUI for a computer algebra system
> using Python and Tk. This wasn't a really large program, but it
> certainly wasn't a scrip either. I spent a good deal of my time
> tracking down runtime typing errors, notably attribute exceptions.

Hmm... A few months ago there was a message by Fred Gansevles, called
'Behavior injection'. Nobody seemed to pay attention to it, but it
was actually quite good. It provides Python with a mechanism for,
among other things, classes with static typing, and private/protected
attributes. With the behavior injection mechanism, you won't solve
static typing problem of 'regular' variables, but you will be able to
address these problems with regard to class attributes.

I think you should be able to find the message in DejaNews... I don't
know if some example code was attached, but I think you can contact
Fred for the latest version (he sent me some code too a while ago).

Veel liefs,

--Hans Nowak (ivnowa at hvision.nl)
Homepage: http://fly.to/zephyrfalcon