Python documentation updated!

Fred L. Drake fdrake at cnri.reston.va.us
Wed May 5 13:50:59 EDT 1999

Angus Rodgers writes:
 > Are there substantial differences between the April 13 and the
 > April 30 versions?  Both of them are subtitled "Release 1.5.2".
 > (The earlier version came with the installation program which
 > I downloaded on 25 April.)

Angus,
  Both apply to Python 1.5.2; the date on the documents specifies the
documentation release.
  The April 30 release includes sections for a number of additional
modules and many, many minor fixes.  There are a number of fixes to
the HTML generation process that affect the April 30 release as well.
The April 30 release also includes the "Macintosh Library Modules"
manual, not included in the Windows installer, and some important
additions to the "Python/C API" and "Documenting Python" manuals.  If
downloading is expensive for you and you're happy with the April 13
release, I wouldn't worry about it, but if you want the additional
sections or are *really* picky about the presentation (I am ;), go
ahead and pick up the new release.  You can compare the "Module Index"
for your copy and the online version of the "Python Library Reference"
to see what modules have been added to the documentation.

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.	     <fdrake at acm.org>