Python 2.0

Andrew M. Kuchling akuchlin at mems-exchange.org
Fri Jun 4 13:37:16 EDT 1999

Graham Matthews writes:
>I have no plans to implement a GC for Python. I have already implemented
>enough standard collectors for one lifetime. Besides which someone far
>more intimate with the implementation details of Python would take less
>time. That's not a cop out. I just don't have the time.

       Someone once added full GC to Python by adding a separate
garbage collector thread, at the cost of a sizable speed hit and
requiring threads.  That might at least prove a good starting point,
and perhaps some optimization work could make it a practical
proposition.

	  Unfortunately I'm unable to pull up any postings in DejaNews
with a pointer to the code (though I can get the previous GC
flamewar). I vaguely recall the code was on a host in .hr, but can't
track it down.  Anyone remember that

I want to know the truth, however perverted that may sound.
    -- Stephen Wolfram