Help!

Paul Robinson paul.robinson at quantisci.co.uk
Tue Dec 7 08:18:11 EST 1999

Jon Cosby wrote:

> Has anyone out there used Microsoft Personal Web Server to run Python-CGI
> scripts? If so, I'd really like to hear how you've done it.

Using PWS (from Option Pack 4) on NT 4:
Simply make sure you install MS Management Console (which is an option
pack option!!).
>From here you can set up the "App Mappings" (as it refers to them).

1) From the Virtual Folder view, right click the root (or a specific
folder)
2) Select the Home Directory (or Virtual Directory) tab.
3) In the "Application Settings" Frame click "Configuration..."
4) Add a new entry:
   Executable: "C:\Program Files\Python\python.exe" -u "%s"
   (including the quotes - obviously change the path to Python as
appropriate)
   Extension: .cgi
   (or whatever you want it to be e.g. .py)
   Other options are left blank.
5) CLick all the OK buttons and you should be up and running.

As I mentioned this works on PWS 4 (and IIS 4) using the management
console which I get as an option when installing Option Pack 4 for NT.
If you are using 9x then I don't have any experience of this - but how
difficult can it be? ;-)

AFAIK the reason the registry hacking wasn't working is that since
version 4 (of IIS and PWS) settings have been stored in the "Metabase"
or some similarly unlikely sounding object, hence rendering the registry
settings obsolete.
Of course if you're not using version 4 then this may be completely
irrelevant!

Hope this helps (if not, then more information about operating system
and PWS version might help me give you a better answer...),
	Paul