Emacs' python-mode buggy?

python-mode at python.org python-mode at python.org
Thu Apr 29 14:01:52 EDT 1999

    SF> What bothers me most with the Emacs mode's TQSs is
    SF> that editing gets terribly slow if there lots of them (and
    SF> they are long).
    SF> On each CR, Tab or : the current indent is computed,
    SF> which takes *much* longer than outside the String.
    SF> Can this be fixed?

It's probably better with XEmacs, which has primitives that
python-mode can use to figure out if it's sitting inside a string or
not.  Emacs doesn't have these.

That being said, I've had a few people report such problems but no one
who's been able to send me a code sample so I can profile it.  If you
can do this, use C-c C-b to send a python-mode bug report and include
your sample.

-Barry

P.S. Everything you ever wanted to know about python-mode and
font-locking:

    http://www.python.org/emacs/python-mode/faq.html