[Python-legal-sig] Round 2: Is CLA required to send and accept edits for Python documentation?

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Sat Feb 8 02:17:32 CET 2014

Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net> writes:

> Ben Finney <ben+python at benfinney.id.au> wrote:
> > It may be that there's no better rationale for the PSF's CLA
> > requirement than “to allow a change of license”.
> >
> > However, that rationale implies either that Wikimedia foundation
> > could not legally change the license terms for Wikipedia
>
> Well, could it? Has this been seriously studied on legal grounds, or
> did everybody just let the Wikimedia foundation get away with it?

I don't know. But the fact that they *have* done it means either that
Wikimedia foundation are special somehow, or PSF are special somehow, or
something else explains the difference.

In any of those cases, the proposed rationale is not persuasive until
the difference between the cases is explained.

--
 \     “It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to |
  `\    persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.” —Carl |