[Python-legal-sig] Round 2: Is CLA required to send and accept edits for Python documentation?

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Sat Feb 8 00:35:39 CET 2014

On 07.02.2014 18:31, Richard Fontana wrote:
> Does the PSF not have a public justification for its CLA?

Some resources on the topic:

https://wiki.python.org/moin/PythonSoftwareFoundationLicenseFaq?highlight=%28contribution%29#Contributing_Code_to_Python
http://www.python.org/psf/contrib/

The main point in having contribution forms is to avoid the
proliferation of licenses on the Python license stack, while at the
same time enabling the PSF to defend the Python IP, should we ever get
into the situation of having to do this.

Unlike a copyright assignment, which e.g. the FSF requires for
contributions, the PSF contrib forms only request a (special) license.
The copyright stays with the contributor - which is important for a
lot of our contributors.

A side issue which was also solved using the contrib forms was that
of receiving a patent grant for any patents owned by the contributor,
which may apply to the contribution.

Overall, the barrier to entry is very low. Perhaps not as low as for
Wikipedia, but certainly a lot lower than for e.g. FSF projects.

Some people may still not like contrib forms, but they work great
for most people who want to contribute and we rarely have issues with
them.

That said, if you have a alternative, which works even better while
implementing the same features, please do post it here.

And no, CC BY-SA is not a better alternative. The Python license
is a BSDish license, i.e. does not enforce a share-alike requirement
(and we like that).

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Feb 08 2014)
2014-01-28: Released eGenix pyOpenSSL 0.13.3 ...  http://egenix.com/go52

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/