[Python-legal-sig] Copyright page in the documentation

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Mon Nov 25 11:43:58 CET 2013

On 24.11.2013 01:18, Janzert wrote:
> On 11/22/2013 7:21 PM, M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
>>
>> This should probably just link to the copyright page. The PSF was
>> founded in 2001, so the 1990 date is wrong anyway.
>>

> I don't know whether the 1990 date is correct or not. However it would not be surprising, or that
> uncommon, for an entity holding a copyright to be younger than the copyright itself.

You have a point there. I don't know whether any copyright was
transferred to the PSF when it was founded. I think putting the
full story together would probably be a good topic for a work
group.

What I do know is that some copyright was implicitly transferred
to the PSF after its creation by simply having the authors put
the PSF copyright notice on code they had written.

Later on, contrib agreements mostly replaced this approach. The
authors keep the copyright and the PSF gets to chose an open source
license for redistribution.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Nov 25 2013)

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/