[Python-legal-sig] CC0 for Python Documentation

anatoly techtonik techtonik at gmail.com
Fri Nov 22 06:22:03 CET 2013

Adding python-legal-sig at python.org to CC. Please,
follow up on python-ideas.

CC0 is a way to free public works from legal burden:
https://creativecommons.org/about/cc0

Here is the reasoning why people do this:
https://creativecommons.org/tag/cc0

At first I thought about CC-BY, but then realized that no
authorship is respected. As you may see here -
http://docs.python.org/3/copyright.html - PSF is the sole
owner of the docs with no reference to the work of people
who have contributed. No wonder that there is not much
motivation to collaborate.

So, given all the above I'd like to propose using CC0 for
Python documentation. Benefits:
 - you don't need to ask PSF for permissions and
   clarification of your rights
 - you can still count and credit contributions regardless
   of is there is copyright signature of the owner or not
 - this also makes it clear that docs are from community
   for community, you can fork and enhance
 - you don't have to sign exclusive CLA to make edits
   to documentation
 - you don't have to supply huge license file if you
   copy/paste relevant pieces from the docs

Now the questions that needs to be answered.

PSF is made to protect Python. How sitting on top of
Python documentation copyright helps it to do so?

What are consequences if Python Documentation is
released with CC0 license?

Do you think it will hurt Python? If yes, then how?
Do you think that current CLA is impediment for
contributing patches to documentation?
Do you think that using CC0 will increase contributions
and tools for working with Python docs?

Do you think that current situation is better?
Do you think that CC-BY is better?
Do you think that CC-BY-SA is better?

It looks like a poll. Maybe PSF should create one?
--
anatoly t.