[Python-legal-sig] Public Domain - export control issues

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Fri May 10 10:22:00 CEST 2013

On 09.05.2013 20:41, Vogel, Mark A UTRC wrote:
> If Python source is freely available and downloadable why isn't it listed as public domain software not subject to the EAR?

Python is copyrighted software, not public domain software:

http://docs.python.org/2/license.html

Whether it's subject to export control depends on which country your
referring to, whether you are talking about the source code or the
compiled binary packages and which Python modules or 3rd party
libraries you include in those.

Python's source archive contains hash algorithms, but does not include
ciphers. However, it does contain code interfacing to OpenSSL for
implementing SSL network communication.

Hope that helps,
--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, May 10 2013)
2013-05-07: Released mxODBC Zope DA 2.1.2 ...     http://egenix.com/go46
2013-05-06: Released mxODBC 3.2.3 ...             http://egenix.com/go45

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/