[Python-legal-sig] Is CLA required to send and accept edits for Python documentation?

anatoly techtonik techtonik at gmail.com
Thu Jul 25 16:21:26 CEST 2013

On Thu, Jul 25, 2013 at 4:57 PM, David Mertz <mertz at gnosis.cx> wrote:
> ALL changes to code or documentation distributed by the PSF require a CLA.
> we do not and cannot draw some line between 'big' and 'small' changes to
> skip CLA for some.

You can not draw the line, because you didn't define the concept, right?
You don't want to define the concept and draw the line, because it
will be additional legal burden to sort changes to 'big' and 'small',
right?

But from the legal point of view, does really fixing a typo means
you're making a derivative work and your edit is subject to copyright
law?

If Wikipedia required to sign CLA, there would be much less valuable
content than it is now. The same is true for Python docs. If copyright
laws allows small edits, it is good to know the limits to enable more
contributions from people.
--
anatoly t.