[Python-legal-sig] Is CLA required to send and accept edits for Python documentation?

Jesse Noller jnoller at gmail.com
Thu Aug 15 13:45:01 CEST 2013

On Aug 15, 2013, at 4:06 AM, Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net> wrote:

> On Wed, 14 Aug 2013 21:15:42 -0500
> Jesse Noller <jnoller at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Allowance for redistribution, even under non free licenses. Additionally, you have to account for the Python license itself which is actually a "stack" stemming from the old beOpen days, python labs etc.
>>
>> All if this means we also need to worry about copyright assignment for legal redistribution by the PSF, OS vendors, non free implementations, etc.
>
> What do you call "non free implementations"? The CPython *source code*
> is free and has to stay that way; it is just not copyleft, therefore
> not necessarily distributed with binaries.
>
> Regards
>
> Antoine.

I mean that there are many vendors which package the cpython runtime and code in closed, non free packages and runtimes. This includes enthought, ActiveState and others. Having a clear paper trail of copyright assignment and provenance means if they get sued for X and they come to us about it, we have to be able to prove we (therefore they) have the rights to distribute X