[Python-legal-sig] [Python-ideas] Contributing to Python core via an intermediary

Michael Foord fuzzyman at gmail.com
Wed Aug 14 17:14:22 CEST 2013

On 14 August 2013 13:32, M.-A. Lemburg <mal at egenix.com> wrote:

> On 14.08.2013 11:17, Antoine Pitrou wrote:
> > Le Wed, 14 Aug 2013 11:03:36 +0200,
> > "M.-A. Lemburg" <mal at egenix.com> a écrit :
> >>
> >> Note that this does not necessarily mean that all code going into
> >> the core has to be subject to a CLA. It is still possible to
> >> integrate code which has a license compatible with the
> >> PSF license, but in general, we'd like to avoid the extra work
> >> of having to check and verify such licenses.
> >
> > Is it possible to "check and verify", say, the common form of the
> > (ultra-simple) MIT license (*)? That would make it a safe starting point
> > for contributors.
> >
> > (*) http://opensource.org/licenses/MIT
>
> The "check and verify" step would have to be done on a case-by-case
> basis. We would need to make sure that the the copyright holders
> mentioned in the license are in fact the copyright holders,

How is that different from a CLA? Does a CLA mean the PSF has no duty to
check the signer had the rights to code they donated? (To say yes is to
claim that a CLA provides a defence against a breach-of-copyright claim
from a third party, so I'm sceptical. It demonstrates honourable intent -
but so does receiving the code under an open source license.)

> check that the license doesn't prevent the PSF from modifying
> the PSF license to address future concerns and also pay close
> attention to things like patents.

So a standard open source license could be vetted so that this stage does
not need to done case-by-case. Which was the original suggestion.

Michael

> The CLA makes this a lot easier for the PSF and everyone
> invovled, which is why we have it :-)
>
> But we're getting off-topic here. Such things should be discussed
> on the python-legal list:

> --
> Marc-Andre Lemburg
> eGenix.com
>
> Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Aug 14 2013)
>
> ::::: Try our mxODBC.Connect Python Database Interface for free ! ::::::
>
>    eGenix.com Software, Skills and Services GmbH  Pastor-Loeh-Str.48
>     D-40764 Langenfeld, Germany. CEO Dipl.-Math. Marc-Andre Lemburg
>            Registered at Amtsgericht Duesseldorf: HRB 46611
>                http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/

http://www.voidspace.org.uk/

May you do good and not evil