[python-ldap] github etc.

Michael Ströder michael at stroeder.com
Wed Apr 27 20:10:02 CEST 2011

Florian Friesdorf wrote:
>> I understand quite well why one wants to use git. But I'm very cautious not to
>> run into suspectible terms of use by any such public services. I'm not a
>> lawyer and I won't pay lawyers to check the terms of use jungle of such a
>> service. So please do yourself a favour and use the existing infrastructure.
>
> I removed python-ldap from my github account for now.

Thanks.

> But, I do not
> understand why it is a problem, if I put its code there.
>
> Is it python-ldap's license that does not permit it?
>
> Shall I put it there under a different name?
>
> github explicitly states "We claim no intellectual property rights over
> the material you provide to the Service. Your profile and materials
> uploaded remain yours." [1]

Please re-read "I'm not a lawyer and I won't pay lawyers" and terms of use can
change over time, e.g. when a service is bought by another company. I want to
get rid of this all in mid-term.

> My intention is not that you need to use github, but that I can use it
> with my colleges to cooperatively work on patches before submitting them
> to you for inclusion.

I'm quite willing set up up a git repo if somebody proves there's a need for
it. So please start working on specific items and the infrastructure will grow
along with you submitting patches.

Please understand that after over ten years of maintaining python-ldap my
experience is that the few patches coming in do not justify spending my spare
time to switch things. I will definitely change my mind if contributors send
in more patches.

> Of course, I will discuss changes on the mailing list.

Thanks in advance for contributing.

> You have your workflow for discussion and inclusion of patches, which I
> fully respect and will stick to. I would highly appreciate an
> explanation, why I shall not stick to my workflow for creation of
> patches.

Please, let's start working on concrete things and workflows will establish as
needed.