[python-ldap] github etc.

Michael Ströder michael at stroeder.com
Sat Apr 23 01:23:00 CEST 2011

Russell Jackson wrote:
> On 04/22/2011 07:54 AM, Michael Ströder wrote:
>> Florian Friesdorf wrote:
>>> I imported python-ldap to github [2] because I prefer it and intend to
>>> work (maybe with Vitaliy?) on patches.
>>
>> I strongly dislike having python-ldap code on public services like github also
>> for legal reasons.
>
> Curious. What is the reason for this concern?
>
> Using github makes it easy to share changes without email diff chaos. Is
> it because of github's business model? If so, would gitorious.org be
> acceptable?

I understand quite well why one wants to use git. But I'm very cautious not to
run into suspectible terms of use by any such public services. I'm not a
lawyer and I won't pay lawyers to check the terms of use jungle of such a
service. So please do yourself a favour and use the existing infrastructure.

Up to now I was able to handle the small amount of patches submitted without
problem. The only patch I requested the submitter to renew was against 2.3.13
for Python 3.x support while CVS HEAD already contained larger changes for
upcoming python-ldap 2.4.

Also please understand that if you plan larger changes discuss them on the
mailing list first. I will give an indication whether I see a possibility to
incorporate changes into python-ldap or not.