python-ldap as replication client

Eric Brunson brunson at brunson.com
Tue Mar 22 21:59:05 CET 2011

On 03/11/2011 11:24 AM, Michael Ströder wrote:
> Eric Brunson wrote:

>>> The patches in CVS HEAD were contributed by Rich exactly to make syncrepl
>>> possible with python-ldap. If you think the current implementation in
>>> CVS HEAD
>>> still has deficiencies regarding controls in intermediate responses I
>>> happily
>>> will review a patch. ;-)
>> Wow, Michael, that is super awesome news.  I'll check the CVS head, try
>> it out and get back to you.
> Make sure to set the right arguments for LDAPObject.result4().
>
> Ciao, Michael.

Michael and all,

The new code works great, thanks so much for the new features.

I do have one issue, and maybe I'm just not looking in the correct
place.  The Sync Info Message returns a syncInfoValue which is a BER
encoded ASN.1 CHOICE structure:

    syncInfoValue ::= CHOICE {
               newcookie      [0] syncCookie,
               refreshDelete  [1] SEQUENCE {
                   cookie         syncCookie OPTIONAL,
                   refreshDone    BOOLEAN DEFAULT TRUE
               },
               refreshPresent [2] SEQUENCE {
                   cookie         syncCookie OPTIONAL,
                   refreshDone    BOOLEAN DEFAULT TRUE
               },
               syncIdSet      [3] SEQUENCE {
                   cookie         syncCookie OPTIONAL,
                   refreshDeletes BOOLEAN DEFAULT FALSE,
                   syncUUIDs      SET OF syncUUID
               }
           }

The data is returned and I've been able to successfully decode it with
the PyASN1 BER codec, but I can't find any indication of the choice
index being returned in the value.   I don't know that the refreshDelete
and the refreshPresent are distinguishable from each other without
additional information, but I see that the value being returned from
result4() is simply what ldap_parse_intermediate() returns, without any
indication of the choice index.  Looking at the raw BER encoded packet
in wireshark, it would seem that the two bytes before the data being
returned have the index embedded in the second byte.

I'm sure this must simply be something I'm overlooking.  Any help?

Thanks,
e.