Fwd: [pyasn1-users] ANN: pyasn1-0.0.13a & pyasn1-modules-0.0.1a released

Michael Ströder michael at stroeder.com
Mon Mar 7 18:35:19 CET 2011

Rich Megginson wrote:
>   On 03/06/2011 06:14 PM, Chaos Eternal wrote:
>>
>> should we re-implement python-ldap on pyasn and get rid of depends on
>> openldap libs?
>>
> I vote no.  Why would you want to do that?  How would you implement
> TLS/SSL?  How would you implement SASL/GSSAPI?  How would you keep up
> with openldap client library development, which is the reference
> standard for LDAP in the FOSS world?

David and me already thought about this two years ago. And for the same
reasons Rich mentioned I won't go that route because it's simply too much work
to get it right. Additionally there's the performance aspect.

BTW: There is already a pure-Python LDAP module called 'ldaptor'.
http://eagain.net/talks/ldaptor/index.html

But I'm currently using pyasn1 for certain LDAPv3 extended operations/controls
and therefore I am thinking about adding some of the basic LDAP-related ASN.1
stuff to python-ldap 2.4.x. But this would introduce a dependency on pyasn1.
Pros/Cons?