edirectory question

Yeargan, Yancey yancey at unt.edu
Fri Mar 12 06:32:46 CET 2010

Your question is really about Novell eDirectory, not the Python LDAP module; so I will provide a brief answer here and you may contact me directly for more eDirectory information. However, I would first make sure that the LDAP search base parameter is set to either "o=central" or "o=suburbs".

To begin, you will not need an alias. The default eDirectory LDAP configuration allows anonymous LDAP binds, so a 'bind user' may not be strictly necessary either.  If you do authenticate in order to perform a search for the user's account, eDirectory also defaults to every user being able to browse the structure of the tree.  It should be possible to find a user account by the CN value (or 'sn' or 'givenName') simply using the default configuration and security permissions.  If your search involves another attribute that is not publicly visible, then you may need to grant additional directory permissions to the 'bind user'.

That's all I will say here. Feel free to contact me directly for more information about Novell eDirectory.

Yancey