high level API for ldap object handling

Michael Ströder michael at stroeder.com
Wed Apr 23 16:19:50 CEST 2008

Olivier,

please follow-up on the python-ldap-dev (Cc:-ed) list because this is
certainly of general interest.

Olivier Sessink wrote:
> 2008/4/23 Michael Ströder <michael at stroeder.com>:
>>  Hmm, I'm not sure I would consider this to be very high-level. If a
>> higher-level API is ever add to python-ldap it will definitely be
>> subschema-aware to map OID to NAME aliases and some more stuff and make use
>> of defaultdict stuff new in Python 2.5.
>
> Can you explain a little what the subschema-awareness would bring for
> the python-ldap programmer? Can you give a (pseudo-code) example what
> that could look like?

It eases dealing with different attribute names and the accompanying
OIDs. There's already something implemented in (undocumented) class
ldap.schema.models.Entry which I heavily use in web2ldap. It does not
implement methods for invoking the LDAP add and modify operations. It is
still undocumented because it was never thoroughly reviewed by others
and probably some details may need a re-design.