_ldap.so: undefined symbol: ber_flatten2

Michael Ströder michael at stroeder.com
Thu Jul 20 13:11:24 CEST 2006

Michele Marcionelli wrote:

>     OpenLDAP 2.0.27
>     python-ldap-2.0.11
> [..]
> ImportError: /usr/local/lib/python2.3/site-packages/_ldap.so:  undefined
> symbol: ber_flatten2
> [..]
> What is wrong? It sould also be possible to use OpenLDAP 2.0 (not  only
> 2.1)?

Hmm, python-ldap 2.0.11 was supposed to work with OpenLDAP 2.0.x but
adding a user-contributed patch for LDAPv3 controls used function
ber_flatten2(). Obviously this change was not available in the 2.0.11
release yet:

http://python-ldap.cvs.sourceforge.net/python-ldap/python-ldap/Modules/ldapcontrol.c?r1=1.3&r2=1.4

Well, since OpenLDAP 2.0.27's libldap is really ancient and very buggy
compared to today's versions I'm not keen on supporting this OpenLDAP
version anymore. It's really time to upgrade now.