Search sizelimit not working?

Michael Ströder michael at stroeder.com
Tue Jun 3 17:06:44 CEST 2003

Ed . wrote:
> I want to run a query which will return more results than the server
> permits. If I specify sizelimit to get a fixed and (smaller than server
> limit) amount I get an exception.
> [..]
> l.simple_bind_s(",")
                   ^^^
BTW: This is wrong.

>    res = l.search_ext_s("o=foo.com", ldap.SCOPE_SUBTREE, "sn=jones*",
> sizelimit=5)

I couldn't figure out in OpenLDAP's man pages and
draft-ietf-ldapext-ldap-c-api-05 whether the python-ldap wrapping in
Modules/LDAPObject.c is wrong or whether raising the exception based on
non-zero error code is right. (I suspect there is a wrong understanding of
the OpenLDAP's error handling in python-ldap's C part.)

The synchronous methods are at the moment not suitable for retrieving
partial results. You could use module ldap.async for that purpose. Wow!
There's even an example in the docs. :-)

http://python-ldap.sourceforge.net/doc/python-ldap/ldap.async-example.List.html