adding organizationalUnit

Michael Engelhart mengelhart at katahdinsoftware.com
Wed May 14 20:20:16 CEST 2003

No, I'm not sure. :-)
I guess my misunderstanding is that add() requests a dn.   What dn do
you enter for a top-level or mid-level organizationalUnit?

If have the following single entry setup in my OpenLDAP directory:

dn: o=mycompany.com
objectclass: top
objectclass: organization
o: mycompany.com

and then want to add from python-ldap this organizationUnit:

dn: ou=People,o=mycompany.com
objectclass: top
objectclass: organizationalunit
ou: People

try:
	bind_dn="cn=Directory Manager,o=mycompany.com"
	password = "xxxxxxxxx"
	l = LDAPWrapper(bind_dn,password)
	dnToAddTo = "o=mycompany.com"
	modlist = []
	modlist.append(('dn','ou=People,o=mycompany.com'))
	modlist.append(('objectclass',['top','organizationalunit']))
	modlist.append(('ou','People'))
	l.add(dnToAddTo, modlist)
	l.close()
except ldap.LDAPError, e:
	print e

I get this error:
{'info': 'dn: attribute type undefined', 'desc': 'Undefined attribute
type'}

Thanks
Michael