SASL response is not a SASL BindRequest

Stuart Bishop stuart.b at commonground.com.au
Mon Mar 24 01:00:07 CET 2003

On Monday, March 24, 2003, at 12:50  AM, Michael Ströder wrote:

> Stuart Bishop wrote:
> >
> > I'm getting stuck with SASL authentication - I believe my code is
> > correct so
> > I'd like to get an opinion on if the bug lies with my code,
> python-ldap
> > pre6
> > or CommuniGate Pro (the LDAP server). I can bind using bind_simple_s.
>
> Are you sure that CommuniGate Pro is an LDAPv3 server and supports
> SASL bind? Can you please check the rootDSE for attributes
> supportedSASLMechanisms.

The root advertises digest-md5, cram-md5 and ntlm in
supportedSASLMechanisms.
supportedLDAPversion is [2,3]

> >     login_dn = 'uid=zen,cn=commongroundpublishing.com,o=Common
> Ground'
> >     password = 'secret'
> >
> >     l = ldap.open('localhost')
> >     auth = ldap.sasl.digest_md5(login_dn,password)
>
> Note that a SASL user name is normally something like uid at realm.

I've tried changing that and am still getting the same error from both
the
client and the server logs.

I'm also getting similar problems using ldapsearch from openldap, so it
looks like a problem with openldap, cyrus-sasl or communigate and not a
python-ldap issue. I suspect CommuniGate Pro, as I've tried installs of
openldap on two difference platforms now so I'll take it to their forum.

--
Stuart Bishop <stuart.b at commonground.com.au>