timeout on bind() function

Michael Ströder michael at stroeder.com
Tue Jul 2 19:28:48 CEST 2002

Olivier Guillossou wrote:

> I've a question: is there any option in the bind() function to make it
> raising a timeout exception ?

There's no timeout parameter for bind() method.

> I'm testing the python-ldap library, and I wouldn't like the program to
> hang if the LDAP server is down, for example.

If the server is really down you get a ldap.SERVER_DOWN when
firing the first LDAP operation (no matter which). The really
tricky things are servers which do accept the connection but don't
proceed.

> If there's no embedded timeout function, how can I make my program
> "timeouting" when the bind() function hangs ?

 >>> import ldap
 >>> l=ldap.open('localhost:1389')
 >>> m=l.bind(ldap.AUTH_SIMPLE,'','')
 >>> m=l.bind('','',ldap.AUTH_SIMPLE)
 >>> r=l.result(m,1,30)

Hmm, is there any interest in setting a LDAPObject.timeout which
would automagically apply to all *_s() methods?