opening a connection with more than a single server

Jens Vagelpohl jens at zope.com
Thu May 2 18:31:33 CEST 2002

> Jens, can you please tell us exactly how the declaration of ldap.open()
> should look like and how the behaviour should be?
>
> I've changed the declaration and behaviour according to your inquiry
> because you complained about an incompatible change (review thread
> "signature of ldap.open changed?" started by you).

the declaration of ldap.open doesn't have anything to do with this as far
as i know. actually, it now even seems to be supporting two ways to get a
connection:

ldap.open( 'server:port' )
ldap.open( 'server', port )

the only item (for this discussion) that i am looking it is the string
'host'. i know that under 1.10 i could do..

ldap.open( 'host1 host2 host3' )

assuming they all run on the default port. i'm not interested in
non-default ports here. if i execute the same on python2.1 and python-ldap
2.0pre4 i am getting a strange error: ldap.LDAPError: ( 2, 'No such file
or directory' ).

don't get me wrong, i am not trying to warm over some ldap.open
declaration semantics. i'm not even trying to badger anyone into bringing
back this type of behavior, i'm just curious if that's something that
would be interesting for others and the package as a whole.

>> It's very likely that David did not know about the space-separated
>> multiple host feature. I'm not even sure if it was available in OpenLDAP
>> 1.x or Netscape 3 libs. But he defined the ldap.open() function's
>> interface and old code might be using it.
>
> As I understood your former inquiry you relied on this old behaviour of
> ldap.open(). Now you're requesting a change.

this whole deal with the space-separated hosts is nothing i ever relied on
(because i did not know it even worked at all). it was brought to my
attention by someone else who had been doing it previously and it failed
after he upgraded python-ldap.

i appreciate your comments regarding long-lived connections. i'll start
using it when i have time to do more tinkering.

jens