Error message when running python-ldap under Zope and Suse

Jens Vagelpohl jens at zope.com
Fri Apr 19 13:49:01 CEST 2002

>> is your zope a binary version or the source version?
> Actually, I don't know it because it was installed when I started with it.
> How can I now it?

if there is a python binary anywhere underneath the zope directory then you
most likely have a binary distribution, which presents problems for newbies
trying to install additional python modules.

>> apart from that you cannot expect python 1.5 (which is what your zope is
>> running on) to find and use things in the python path of a python 2.1
>> installation.
> I know it, but there isn't a suse version on the python-ldap's sourceforge
> page. So,
> where should I get it? Or can I perhaps change the python version?

zope 2.3.x runs on python 1.5.2. you will have to get the python-ldap
1.10alpha3 source and build it i suppose.

>> P.S.: never trust RPM packages for addons like this because they are
> always
>> packaged with a lot of assumptions, like what python to use and where
>> things are installed.
> Which one should I download?

get the source

jens