result timeout

Michael Ströder michael at stroeder.com
Wed Jun 13 10:56:24 CEST 2001

David Leonard wrote:

> On Tue, 12 Jun 2001, Michael Ströder typed thusly:
>
> > The result() method of current CVS version does not return
> > (None,None) as mentioned on
> > http://python-ldap.sourceforge.net/doc/lib/node9.html if timeout
> > occured. Simply None is returned.
>
> Which should be changed? The code or the documentation?

Rather the code.

> or should it raise a timeout exception instead?
> its not hard to fix... but what to do?

Returning (None,None) has the advantage of not breaking existing
code. Hmm, but most people are not really using all the feature of
the API.

Raising an exception seems the better design. But on the other hand
I think it costs more performance to raise and handle an exception
which could be a drawback when polling with timeout parameter set to
0.

Well, I'd suggest raising timeout exception but would like to hear
other opinions as well - especially regarding compatibility to
existing code.