-lpthread + -D_REENTRANT

David Leonard david.leonard at csee.uq.edu.au
Tue May 15 03:27:00 CEST 2001

On Mon, 14 May 2001, Michael Ströder typed thusly:

> I'll raise this one again:
> We should set gcc compiler option -D_REENTRANT aka -D_THREAD_SAFE
> and linker option -lpthread in the autoconf script if Python was
> built
> --with-threads.
>
> Anybody capable of adding that to the autoconf stuff?

if you're talking about setting these when building _ldap then, no,
I don't think that's right. Different platforms have different ways of doing
threads. The autoconf way currently uses the options and libraries
that python itself was using when it was compiling its builtin modules,
so you don't need any more or any less.

_ldap does not use the platform thread api (and nor should it).
there is (or should be) sufficient communication between _ldap and python
about blockable points to make it work with and without threads.
I am led to believe from the python documentation that that's the right way.

so, python-ldap should link and work with threads as it stands now.

the ldap libraries may not be thread safe, but that's another issue..
(but you've addressed that somewhat at the python level)

David Leonard                           David.Leonard at csee.uq.edu.au
Dept of Comp. Sci. and Elec. Engg   _   Room:78-640  Ph:+61 7 336 51187
The University of Queensland       |+|  http://www.csee.uq.edu.au/~leonard/
QLD 4072  AUSTRALIA               ~` '~ B73CD65FBEF4C089B79A8EBADF1A932F13EA0FC8

Why are apartments so close together?