patch to compile with OpenLDAP 2.0.7

Michael Ströder michael at stroeder.com
Fri Nov 17 07:48:18 CET 2000

"Jeffrey C. Ollie" wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 16, 2000 at 11:55:57PM +0100, Michael Ströder wrote:
> > "Jeffrey C. Ollie" wrote:
> > >
> > > I've gotten today's CVS version to compile against OpenLDAP 2.0.7.
> >
> > Ooops. Double efforts. I'm currently testing patches by Konstantin
> > (Cc:-ed) which also allow to retrieve search continuation references
> > (LDAPv3 referrals).
> >
> > He made some changes to attributes of LDAPObject. Especially setting
> > the options is different.
>
> I didn't know that anyone else was working on it...  The list has been
> quiet for some time now.

We did not expect anybody else to work on it. Therefore there was no
announcement here.

>  It looks like Konstantin's work goes beyond
> what I intended to accomplish.  I wasn't looking to add any
> functionality, just to get python-ldap to compile and work.

Well, when building against OpenLDAP 2.0.x libs you gain some new
important features. Especially LDAPv3 is what we basically need to
handle referrals in a reasonable manner. This might lead to
incompatible python-ldap API but the new features are worth it, I
think.

>  But I'd
> be happy to test out other patches and perhaps fix a bug or two.

Well, are you interested in adding new functionality? If yes,
SSL/TLS support and some parts of the new LDAPEXT-API would be nice.
I'm not a C programmer myself. I can just provide help with
designing the new API and doing extensive tests.