[Python-ideas] New Project to Capture summaries from this

Stephen J. Turnbull turnbull.stephen.fw at u.tsukuba.ac.jp
Thu Mar 28 23:07:39 EDT 2019

Chris Angelico writes:

 > General principle: People who complain about email are using
 > suboptimal clients, people who complain about non-email systems are
 > using suboptimal services. And there's nothing that's truly optimal in
 > either case (some email clients do come close, but only for their
 > current users, not for new users).

There's a big difference, though.  Email users choose their own email
clients.  If you choose GMail, well, "sorry, you chose GMail."  (I
understand that avoiding GMail on Apple handhelds is kinda hard,
AppleMail sucking amazingly and all.  But writing technical discussion
on a phone is strictly for disasters, anyway, at least IME.)

We don't have such a choice about the non-email service *at all*,
except to use the inevitably sucky email interface.  Theoretically one
could use the API that clients-in-the-browser use and design and write
a new client, but they're often not documented and often don't make
backward compatibility promises.  Practically, it's a massive
undertaking.  Not to mention that those alternative clients don't yet
exist, whereas email clients that one can modify (or libraries to
build one) exist in pretty much every language.

Regards,
Steve