[Python-ideas] Enabling / disabling optional type hinting

David Mertz mertz at gnosis.cx
Sat Mar 23 19:36:16 EDT 2019

I agree with Guido. Yes, there are sequences of symbols that used to be
syntax errors but that now have some meaning in Python. The type annotation
colon is one of them. There are moderately many other constructs this can
be said of.

I can vaguely imagine accidentally using a colon rather than an equal sign
because the colon is similar to an assignment in a dict display. I don't
think anyone would do that as a slip of the finger, but more as a brain
glitch.

However, this feels like a very uncommon hazard, and just one among dozens
of similar ones. I don't think anything should be "fixed" at a language
level.