[Python-ideas] OT: Respectful behaviour

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Mon Mar 11 11:37:46 EDT 2019

On Tue, Mar 12, 2019 at 2:30 AM Jonathan Fine <jfine2358 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Someone made a proposal whose purpose was not clear. A second person
> criticised the first person for this. A third person (me) referred to
> the public guidelines for the use of this list. A fourth person, in a
> new thread, accused the third person of hijacking the thread. The
> third person (me) responded, with the previous remarks.

TBH your link to the public guidelines was not quite a response to the
second post, as the second post was talking about *content* and you
were talking about *behaviour*. It's perfectly possible to remain
entirely within the Code of Conduct, but still not provide enough
context for the post; it's also entirely possible to make a post that
has all sorts of useful information, but is caustic, rude, racist,
sexist, or in any other way violates the CoC. The former is perfectly
legitimate content, but will result in an on-topic response asking for
more details; the latter might get you banned from the list.

That said, though - I don't think Rhodri's response was really
necessary here. Calling your post "unrelated" is stretching it a bit,
and it wasn't an inconsiderate post, just not quite a direct response.
*shrug*

ChrisA