[Python-ideas] dict.merge(d1, d2, ...) (Counter proposal for PEP 584)

fhsxfhsx fhsxfhsx at 126.com
Tue Mar 5 04:53:09 EST 2019

I agree so much on your opinion that I was just to create a topic about this if you didn't.
I also propose here a small modification to make it more general which adds an argument `how` (name to be discussed), telling how to merge the dicts, as many have pointed out that there could be different ways to merge dicts.
So things would be like

    def addition_merge(key, values, exists):
        """
        :param key: the key to merge
        :param values: values of dicts to merge indexed at `key`
        :param exists: whether each dict contains `key`
        """
        if any(exists):
            return True, sum([value for exist, value in zip(exists, values) if exist])
        else:
            return False
    d1.merge(d2, d3, ..., how=addition_merge)

We could even have

    def discard(key, values, exists):
        return not any(exists[1:]), values[0]
    d1.merge(d2, how=discard)

which does the same thing as proposed `d1-d2`.

This would make things like
    d = d1.merge(iter_of_pairs)
d = d1.merge(key=value)
not working, but people could easily wrap a `dict()` over the iterator or key-value stuff and attach no complication.