[Python-ideas] PEP: Dict addition and subtraction

David Foster davidfstr at gmail.com
Tue Mar 5 00:37:54 EST 2019

I have seen a ton of discussion about what dict addition should do, but
have seen almost no mention of dict difference.

This lack of discussion interest combined with me not recalling having
needed the proposed subtraction semantics personally makes me wonder if
we should hold off on locking in subtraction semantics just yet. Perhaps
we could just scope the proposal to dictionary addition only for now?

If I *were* to define dict difference, my intuition suggests supporting
a second operand that is any iterable of keys and not just dicts.
(Augmented dict subtraction is already proposed to accept such a broader
second argument.)

David Foster | Seattle, WA, USA