[Python-ideas] Dict joining using + and +=

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Mon Mar 4 16:34:34 EST 2019

On Mon, 4 Mar 2019 at 20:42, Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> wrote:

> Honestly I would rather withdraw the subtraction operators than reopen the discussion about making dict more like set.

I'm neutral on dict addition, but dict subtraction seemed an odd
extension to the proposal. Using b in a - b solely for its keys, and
ignoring its values, seems weird to me. Even if dict1 - dict2 were
added to the language, I think I'd steer clear of it as being too
obscure.

I'm not going to get sucked into this debate, but I'd be happy to see
the subtraction operator part of the proposal withdrawn.

Paul