[Python-ideas] kwargs for return

Christopher Barker pythonchb at gmail.com
Sat Jan 26 23:24:24 EST 2019

On Sat, Jan 26, 2019 at 4:01 PM Steven D'Aprano <steve at pearwood.info> wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 26, 2019 at 10:20:11AM -0800, Christopher Barker wrote:

> but, alas, tuple unpacking is apparently automatically disabled for single
> > value tuples  (how do you distinguish a tuple with a single value and the
> > value itself??)
>
> The time machine strikes again. We have not one but THREE ways of doing
> so (although two are alternate ways of spelling the same thing):

py> def func():
> ...     return [1]

Sure, but this requires that you actually return something "unpackable"
from the function. As David Mertz pointed out, functions always return a
single value, but that value may or may not be unpackable.

So the OP's desire, that you could extend a function that was originally
written returning a single scalar value to instead return multiple values,
and have code that expected a single value still work the same simply isn't
possible (without other major changes to Python).

-CHB

--
Christopher Barker, PhD

Python Language Consulting