[Python-ideas] NAN handling in the statistics module

David Mertz mertz at gnosis.cx
Sun Jan 6 23:16:58 EST 2019

OK, let me be more precise.  Obviously if the implementation in a class is:

class Foo:
    def __lt__(self, other):
        return random.random() < 0.5

Then we aren't going to rely on much.

* If comparison of any two items in a list (under __lt__) is deterministic,
is the resulting sort order deterministic? (Pretty sure this is a yes)
* If the pairwise comparisons are deterministic, is sorting idempotent?

This statement is certainly false:

* If two items are equal, and pairwise inequality is deterministic,
exchanging the items does not affect the sorting of other items in the list.