[Python-ideas] PEP 8 and long string literals

Vinicius Mesel viniciuscarqueijo at gmail.com
Tue Feb 26 05:52:09 EST 2019

If you use Atom (http://atom.io), you can use the default functionality
called Wrap Guide.

The wrap guide is fully configurable to your needs on different line
lengths (https://github.com/atom/wrap-guide).
The example on the doc shows 4 wrap guides:

'wrap-guide':
  'columns': [72, 80, 100, 120]

On Tue, Feb 26, 2019 at 4:32 AM Stephen J. Turnbull <
turnbull.stephen.fw at u.tsukuba.ac.jp> wrote:

> David Mertz writes:
>
>  > However, what I care about more than that is my editor.  It would be
> really
>  > nice if my editor provided something like "vertical folding" for things
>  > like this. I do not know of any editors that do that, but it would be
> easy
>  > to imagine.  E.g. I might have an editor display:
>  >
>  >     url = f'{URL_BASE}&arg1={row["column_*(..93 chars..)*rg17=123456'
>  >
>  > Does anyone know of editors that do that sort of thing? Obviously,
>  > you'd need some way to fold/unfold the hidden text.  But for many
>  > purposes, the first and last few characters probably convey the
>  > purpose of the line.
>
> You may not like my answer: Emacs does several kinds of hiding text.
> They're not exactly what you ask for, of course, but the tools are
> definitely there.
>
> The only automatic hiding features I use are truncate-lines mode,
> which as you might guess hides the tail of the line by default, but
> also scrolls only that line if point moves into the hidden tail (as
> many browsers do in their address bars), and outline mode, which has a
> couple of ways to tweak display (hide non-heading text, hide
> subheadings, do either locally or globally).  I don't know who
> maintains python-mode, but they might be interested in your suggestion
> if you're interested in an Emacs feature.
>
> Whoever maintains python-mode is exceptionally open to wacky (ie,
> contra GNUish orthodoxy) ideas, I must say.  It's the only mode I use
> where RET is bound to newline-and-indent instead of newline, for
> example.
>

> --
> Associate Professor              Division of Policy and Planning Science
> http://turnbull.sk.tsukuba.ac.jp/     Faculty of Systems and Information
> Email: turnbull at sk.tsukuba.ac.jp                   University of Tsukuba
> Tel: 029-853-5175                 Tennodai 1-1-1, Tsukuba 305-8573 JAPAN

Vinicius Mesel

CEO e Fundador do PyJobs

http://www.pyjobs.com.br