[Python-ideas] Option of running shell/console commands inside the REPL

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Fri Feb 1 23:37:36 EST 2019

Sorry, I was not as clear as I ought to have been:

On Sat, Feb 02, 2019 at 02:10:06PM +1100, Steven D'Aprano wrote:

> > * Clear separation (using, for example, different colors)
> >   between input, output and errors;
>
> Input always starts with a prompt; exception tracebacks always start
> with the line "Traceback..."; other errors are generally not
> programmatically distinguishable from non-errors.

By which I mean, if a script or module reports an error by just printing
a message to the screen:

    print("sorry, an error occurred")

sort of thing. Obviously the interpreter cannot guess which messages
represent errors in that sense and which are non-error output.

(Of course, a script could format its own error messages, say by using
terminal-specific colour codes.)

--
Steve