[Python-ideas] Clearer communication

Adrien Ricocotam ricocotam at gmail.com
Fri Feb 1 12:42:33 EST 2019

I'm kinda new to those mailing lists and those are the only ones I ever
subscribed so I'm a bit in the audience you're targeting James.

What I think is bad using mailing list it's the absence of votes. I'd often
like to just hit a "+1" button for some mails just to say to the author I'm
with him and I think s.he's ideas are great. In some of the recent threads,
some of the ideas I agreed with were just smashed by others. I couldn't
give my two cents and the debate juste ended and I couldn't say the author
I was behind him.er. Another thing I think is not good is the absence of
little chit-chat and editing. Actually, a lot of emails are just
explanations of what the authors meant. That's pretty spammy and a few
messages exchanged + editing would correct this spammy thing.

In another hand, I think mailing lists are great to avoid short and useless
messages. There's no spammy message like "I'm ok" which could be replaced
by just a "+1" button. It forces us using LBYL principle (@poke Robert) and
it (imho) better fills the needs of such discussions.

As you may have get it, I'd rather a forum like thing rather than mailing
lists but mailings lists are great.