[Python-ideas] Option of running shell/console commands inside the REPL

Eric V. Smith eric at trueblade.com
Fri Feb 1 09:25:43 EST 2019

On 2/1/2019 9:07 AM, James Lu wrote:
> I always use ptipython (ptpython shell over the ipython console) for
> my REPLs. The built-in python repl is not /batteries included/ in the
> sense that it already has what you need to explore the language.
>
> I wonder, what do the python committers think about including a
> stripped-down version of ipython and ptpython in the built-in python?

I'm opposed to it. I think the current situation is fine, where CPython
ships with a basic REPL, and other REPLs exist. I don't want to see any
complexity added to CPython. I'm not opposed to hooks to make it easier
for third parties to add functionality to the CPython REPL, but I'd have
to see how they complicate things before making up my mind.

Eric