[Python-ideas] Built-in parsing library

Nam Nguyen bitsink at gmail.com
Tue Apr 9 12:06:17 EDT 2019

On Mon, Apr 8, 2019 at 7:59 AM Christopher Barker <pythonchb at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 8, 2019 at 12:02 AM Paul Moore <p.f.moore at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I would expect that the only reasonable way of getting a parsing
>> library in the stdlib would be to propose an established one from PyPI
>> to be moved into the stdlib
>

> Absolutely -- unlike some proposals, a stand-alone parsing lib could very
> easily be developed external to the stdlib. If one gains traction as an
> obvious choice, then we can talk about bringing it in.

All options are still on the table. It is important to closely align the
solution to the goal of making itself available for *internal use* in the
stdlib itself. Having a parser library in the stdlib for *general use* is
not an explicit goal that I am aiming for, just as pgen2 was not intended
that way. Neither should that deter one from being considered.

Nam