[Python-ideas] Why is design-by-contracts not widely

Rhodri James rhodri at kynesim.co.uk
Tue Sep 25 09:08:23 EDT 2018

On 25/09/18 12:59, Hugh Fisher wrote:

Thank you for a very well thought out post, Hugh.  I completely agree.
I just wanted to pull out one comment:

> Adding new syntax or semantics to a programming language very often adds
> accidental complexity.

This is, in my view, the main reason why the bar for adding new syntax
to Python is and should be so high.  People advocating new syntax often
remark that programmers can choose not to use it; they don't have to
write their Python using the new syntax.  That is true as far as it
goes.  However, programmers do have to *read* Python using the new
syntax, so it does impact on them.  The additional accidental complexity
isn't something you can just dismiss because not everyone will have to
use it.

--
Rhodri James *-* Kynesim Ltd