[Python-ideas] Moving to another forum system where

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Fri Sep 21 19:18:47 EDT 2018

James Lu wrote:
> I believe GitHub has direct email
> capability. If you watch the repository and have email notifications on, you
> can reply directly to an email and it will be sent as a reply.

Can you start a new topic of conversation by email, though?

> The best solution
> would to have admins receive all the email, and broadcast a subset of the
> email sent, only broadcasting new arguments and new opinions.
>
> Admins can do this “summary duty” every 12 hours on a rotating basis, where
> each admin takes turns doing summary duty.

Even spreading the load out, it sounds like a huge amount
of work. And I question the feasibility of admins deciding
whether an argument is "new" or not -- that would require
an encyclopaedic knowledge of all past discussions. Hard
enough for one person, even harder if it's a rotating
duty.

--
Greg