[Python-ideas] Moving to another forum system where moderation is possible

Ethan Furman ethan at stoneleaf.us
Tue Sep 18 15:19:56 EDT 2018

On 09/18/2018 12:05 PM, Franklin? Lee wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 18, 2018 at 2:37 PM Jonathan Goble wrote:

>> Perhaps not, but part of that might be because stopping an active
 >> discussion on a mailing list can be hard to do, so one might not even
 >> try. Some discussions, I suspect, may have gone on in circles long past
 >> the point where they would have been locked on a forum. With forum
 >> software, it becomes much easier, and would be a more effective tool to
 >> terminate discussions that are going nowhere fast and wasting everyone's
 >> time.

True.

> But there's no evidence that such tools would help. Software
> enforcement powers are only necessary if verbal enforcement isn't
> enough. We need the current moderators (or just Brett) to say whether
> they feel it isn't enough.

It isn't enough.

> What people may really be clamoring for is a larger moderation team,
> or a heavier hand. They want more enforcement, not more effective
> enforcement.

More ineffective enforcement will be, um, ineffective.

Let's have a test.  I'm a moderator (from -List).  We're* working on avenues to improve the mailing tools and
simultaneously testing other options.  I'm not seeing anything new in this thread that will impact that one way or
another, so I'm asking for all of us to move on to other topics.

--
~Ethan~

* Various moderators from various lists.